The JSTOR online database contains complete, full-text articles from core scholarly journals
in the arts, humanities, and sciences up to three calendar years ago.
Search for Articles
- Go to the Library Database site on the World Wide Web: http://library.palomar.edu/OnlineDatabases/databases.htm
- Click JSTOR
- Type a term or phrase in the Basic Search box
- Click Search
- The next screen that appears will be a list of
articles related to your search term(s).
- Use the ampersand
(&) symbol at the end of a word to search for singular or plural
variants. Example: Type box& to find
citations containing the terms box or boxes.
- To search for a phrase, type
a word or phrase, enclosed by quotes " ", in the search box.
Examples (be sure to include the quotes):
For additional search techniques, go the the
JSTOR Search Help page.
the desired option
- Click the article title in the Search Results list OR
- At the end of each article listed are
displays bibliographic data (citation and abstract) and
references (literature cited in article)
of First Match
displays page where search term(s) first appear.
displays article in PDF format
Export this citation
email or download citation into a
and save options for citation only
or Save Articles
- Select the PDF option to open article (you must have Adobe
Acrobat Reader software on your computer).
the print or save buttons in the Adobe Acrobat
window (do NOT use your web browser print or save functions).
- Send citation
- Select the Export this citation option
- Click Email citations. Note
that only the citation and abstract are sent.
- To connect to the actual article
- In the citation that is sent, find and copy the "Stable URL". It
will look something like this:
- Paste this link into your browser's Address box
- Type the following text in front of that link:
- The final URL should look something like this:
; press enter to connect to the article.
- From the JSTOR Basic Search Form page, click
Advanced Search tab
a word or phrase in the search box(es) and choose the appropriate field to
You may restrict the search to specific articles, dates, languages, publication types,
disciplines, or journals. Scroll down to
"Limit Search" and choose or type the parameter(s).
next screen will be a Search Results List displaying citations for
articles that met your search requirements.
- Display and printing are same as with Basic Search.
- Upload and compile individual citations into your reference management
program (RefWorks, EndNote, etc.). Select Export Citation
below the citation to choose options.
- Compile and store multiple citations using MyJSTOR. Select
the MyJSTOR quick link (at the top of every screen) to create or
manage your own account, or choose the 'Save citation(s) (Requires
login)' link at the beginning of the Search Results list.
Return to Online Databases