|Graphic Standards and Style
|The Palomar College Graphics Standards and Style Manual
(GSSM) was developed by the GSSM Task Force, a group of 11 staff members representing a
cross-section of the college community. The purpose of the GSSM is to assist people who
develop printed materials, web pages, correspondence, or other products that determine and
reinforce the identity of Palomar College. The contents of this manual outline a unified
image of Palomar’s diversity and vitality through a visual identity system and writing
If you are creating a specific printed piece or web site, please refer to the appropriate
sections of this manual for help on how to incorporate the identity elements. The reasons
for developing an identity system are as follows:
Please note that the Graphics Standards and Style Manual is a living document, and your
constructive suggestions are welcome.
- A comprehensive, well-managed identity confers stability and professionalism.
- A strong visual identity system is a fundamental component of an overall image
- It is confusing to the marketplace for an institution to support more than one
- Colleges with strong identities will be able to recruit faculty and students and
raise dollars more efficiently and effectively.
- The identity system outlines consistent methods of presenting information, thereby
improving quality control.
- A consistent identity conveys synergy between units on campus.
- Institutions with strong and consistent identities are more likely to have a
clearer sense of purpose.
Graphic Standards and Style Manual